How to Get Pets in Grounded This Holiday Season


If your pet enjoys chewing or swallowing ornaments, be sure to place them higher up the tree, out of reach and tucked away where your pet cannot access them. Broken glass, aluminum and paper ornaments may have sharp edges which could lacerate their mouth, throat and intestines.

Tinsel, ribbons and other dangling decorations can be a major choking hazard for pets. Particularly in cats, they may act as foreign bodies that cause serious intestinal obstruction and blockage.

To prevent this, we suggest replacing tinsel with other types of decorations. If your cat or dog does eat any tinsel, be sure to contact your veterinarian right away as it could become fatal if left undigested in their intestines.

Pets should always be warned against decorative lights, so always inspect cords for fraying and use a grounded three-pronged extension cord as an extra safety measure. Candles also pose risks; if chewed on by pets, they could cause electrical shock and mouth lacerations.

If your pets are curious about ornaments, try painting clear glass ornaments using Multi Surface Satins in the colors of your choice. All you will need is some rubbing alcohol, scissors, felt, small brushes, E6000 glue and Multi Surface Satins in black, beige honey brown white pink and muted gold.


Staying safe for your pets this holiday season means being alert for potential hazards of all types, such as twinkling lights and decorations like icicles, tinsel and ribbons. As you can imagine, your furry friends would love nothing more than to nibble away at anything that looks tempting! Fortunately, there are many products on the market designed to help you and your furry best friends have a pleasant celebration without any painful or costly scares. So don’t wait any longer; check out our list of the top 10 holiday pet safety tips for some sage advice on keeping both of you secure this season.


When displaying candles, place them in an area that pets cannot reach easily so they do not burn themselves. Pets have the potential to cause severe injury by knocking over candles and leaving behind a trail of hot wax that dries out their paws and skin.

Twinkling holiday lights–icicles, garland, curtain and rope–can present a dangerous risk to curious pets. Electrical shock could occur if your pup chews on the cord, leading to tongue lacerations or worse. Check all decorations for signs of fraying or chewing before using grounded three-prong extension cords as an extra safety measure.

Holly, mistletoe, poinsettias and pine needles can cause stomach irritation, gastrointestinal blockages and even poisoning if eaten by your pet. To avoid such hazards it’s better to replace these items with artificial plants that are less likely to be chewed or eaten by your furry friend.

Spark of Sama candles are formulated with delicate scents of frankincense and vanilla to bring balance, calm and restoration to your home’s atmosphere. Additionally, their powerful odor neutralizer removes any trace of animal smells, making them ideal for homes with companion animals.


Tinsel, ornaments and garland may bring holiday cheer to pets, but they can be hazardous if consumed. Tinsel can get stuck in your pet’s digestive tract and lead to serious problems for them that require immediate veterinary attention.

Cats enjoy playing with string, and tinsel is especially tempting due to its sparkle. Unfortunately, if your cat swallows tinsel, it could become obstructed and twist inside their stomach or intestines, leading to severe pain, nausea, vomiting and other signs of intestinal obstruction.

This type of linear foreign body can be difficult to remove and requires expensive surgery. If left untreated, it could prove fatal; thus, make sure not to use any type of tinsel or ribbon on your tree, decorations, or when gift wrapping presents.

Pets should always be kept out of decorative lights and candles. Keep cords out of reach, or always use grounded three-prong extension cords when using them. Candles can be toxic if ingested, while dangling lights pose an electrical shock risk when chewed or gnawed on.


Ribbons and bows are an adorable way to dress up gifts, but they can also be hazardous for your pets. Ingesting a ribbon or bow could lead to gastrointestinal problems such as blockage and abdominal pain in pets. Furthermore, gift wrap is fun to play with but it could snag on furniture or other pets when not being played with.

Candles make for a festive display, but they can easily become fire hazards if knocked over. To reduce the risk of serious burns, keep candles in hard-to-reach spots.

Glass ornaments and their hooks can present a risk to your pet. Aside from breakage, shards of glass may lacerate a pet’s mouth or throat, and wire hooks could get caught in the esophagus or intestines.

No matter your pet’s breed, age or size, it is essential to keep them secure and contented. The best way to do this is by being aware of common household hazards and making smart choices when allowing them into your home. By doing the right thing during holiday seasons, you may avoid dealing with a holiday crisis.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *